Meet Dr. Scott Miller
Dr. Scott R. Miller is a board-certified cosmetic and reconstructive plastic surgeon who is highly sought after for his advanced surgical expertise. Patients travel from around the country – and even overseas – to see him, and they praise the beautiful, natural-looking results he has helped them achieve. In addition to his aesthetic outcomes, Dr. Miller is well-known for his compassionate bedside manner and informative consultations. As one of Southern California’s leading plastic surgeons, he has proven his dedication to aesthetics, safety, and comfort are among his top priorities as a physician.
Among the different procedures offered, Dr. Miller is highly skilled in performing facelift surgery, rhinoplasty, breast augmentation, liposculpture, tummy tucks, structural fat grafting, and personalized skin care. Dr. Miller and his friendly, knowledgeable staff welcome individuals into their elegant office and state-of-the-art certified surgical facility, located in the Scripps Medical Office Building on the campus of Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla. The entire team is committed to answering any questions you may have, helping you feel at ease and make an informed decision about your treatment.
Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, Dr. Miller exceeds rigorous standards in plastic and reconstructive surgery, and he continues to stay at the forefront of the latest technology and surgical techniques. Having undergone advanced fellowship training in aesthetic surgery, Dr. Miller is experienced in creating the most naturally beautiful outcomes. Starting with the consultation, he takes a personal approach, listening to each individual’s goals with surgery and addressing any concerns they may have. This, combined with his technical expertise and aesthetic artistry, leads to outstanding results.
Dr. Miller participated as a special guest on UCSD-TV’s Health Matters, sharing his expertise on topics ranging from shorter recovery times to procedures such as Mommy Makeovers. He has also been featured in a variety of other media sources including Fox News and national magazine publications.
Educator and Clinical Instructor
An authority on providing aesthetic results, Dr. Miller pulls from his years of experience by frequently teaching courses on plastic surgery, instructing surgeons in endoscopic (minimal scar) techniques and advanced concepts in facial rejuvenation and enhancement. He acts as an attending surgeon at Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla and a Voluntary Clinical Instructor of Plastic Surgery at the University of California, San Diego. He is also the author of the chapter on facelift advances in a plastic surgery textbook, along with numerous medical articles.
Before becoming a distinguished surgeon, Dr. Miller earned his M.D. and completed his internship and residency in surgery at the University of California, Irvine. He completed his plastic and reconstructive surgery residency at the University of California, San Diego. Dr. Miller then went on to complete a prestigious fellowship in aesthetic cosmetic surgery with world-renowned plastic surgeon Dr. Bruce F. Connell. During his training under the “Father of the Modern Face Lift,” Dr. Miller honed his surgical skill and techniques on achieving natural beauty in his plastic surgery patients.
- University of California, Irvine College of Medicine
Year of graduation: 1991
- University of California Medical Center Department of Surgery
Year of graduation: 1995
- University of California San Diego Division of Plastic Surgery San Diego, California
Year of graduation: 1997
- Bruce Connell Aesthetic Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship
Year of graduation: 1997
To stay active within the medical community, Dr. Miller is a member of such organizations as the American Society of Plastic Surgeons and the California Society of Plastic Surgeons, as well as a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He also takes pride in participating in the Interface International Surgery Program, through which he is able to dramatically improve children’s lives by correcting disfiguring birth defects.
- American Board of Plastic Surgery
- American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- American Medical Association
- California Medical Association
- California Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Scripps Memorial Hospital – La Jolla
Dr. Miller has been recognized for his remarkable plastic surgery expertise through a variety of esteemed awards. These titles distinguish him from other professionals, as they communicate his elevated level of surgical skill and attention to patient care. Dr. Miller was awarded these honors thanks to nominations from the public, his peers, and medical governing boards.
- 2016 – Best of La Jolla Award, Plastic Surgeon
- 2016 – The Spectrum Award of Excellence in Customer Satisfaction
- 2014 – Award of Honor & Laureate of the National Academy of Plastic Surgery, Consultant to the National Institute of Medicine
- 2014 – Best of La Jolla Award, Plastic Surgeon
- 2012 – Top Plastic Surgeon in San Diego, International Association of Healthcare Professionals
- 2012 – Patients’ Choice Award, American Registry
- 2011, 2012 – Best Doctors in America
- 2011 – Best of La Jolla Award, Cosmetic Surgeon, US Commerce Association
- 2006 – ASPS/PSEF Recognition Award
- 2005 – Who’s Who Among Executives and Professionals “Honors Addition” 2005
- 2000 – ASAPS Appreciation Award for Advancement of Aesthetic Surgery
- 1991 – The J. Gordon Hatfield Award for Excellence in Surgery
- 1991 – Orange County Medical Association Auxiliary Research Award
- 1987 – Excellence in Research Award, UCI School of Biological Sciences
- 1987 – Pacific Coast Athletic Association Scholar-Athlete Award
- 1986 – Dean’s Award for Research
- 1995 – UCSD, Division of Plastic Surgery Conference Lectures, San Diego, CA, Infusion Injuries/Principles of Flaps/Implantation: Bone, Cartilage & Alloplasts/Head and Neck Tumors
- 1995 – Infusion Injuries, UCSD Surgery Grand Rounds, San Diego, CA
- 1996 – UCSD, Division of Plastic Surgery Conference Lectures, San Diego, CA, Local Anesthetics and Cocaine/ Replantation/ Burn Surgery/ Rhinoplasty/ Blepharoplasty/ Plastic Surgery of the Ear/ Anthropometrics & Cephalometrics/ Craniofacial Anomalies
- 1996 – A Three Point Approach to Septal Surgery, American College of Surgeons, Southern California Chapter, Dana Point, CA
- 1997 – The Aging Face: Landmarks and Vectors, Facial Rejuvenation Symposium, La Jolla, CA
- 1998 – Minimal Incision Techniques in Plastic Surgery, Mission Hospital Seminar, Mission Viejo, CA
- 1998 – Interface: A Different Kind of Diplomacy, UCI Plastic Surgery Grand Rounds, Orange, CA
- 1998 – Interface: Plastic Surgery Abroad, Mission Hospital Grand Rounds, and Mission Viejo, CA
- 1998 – Rhytidectomy, ASAPS Teaching Course at Global Summit on Aesthetic Surgery, Los Angeles, CA
- 2000 – Face-lifting: A comparison of techniques, UCSD, Plastic Surgery Grand Rounds, La Jolla, CA
- 2000 – Endoscopic Browlifts: Advances and Refinements, UCSD, Aesthetic Surgery Invited Speaker, La Jolla, CA
- 2000 – Contemporary face lift techniques, Connell Foundation International Symposium on Aesthetic Surgery, Puerto Vallarta, MX
- 2001 – Change Your Looks For Good, Inspire Insurance Executive Health Lecture Series, Sorrento Valley, CA
- 2002 – Natural Facial Rejuvenation, Pacific Athletic Club Member Education, San Diego, California
- 2003 – Caveats in Facial Plastic Surgery UCSD, Plastic Surgery Grand Rounds, La Jolla, CA
- 2003 – Facial Rejuvenation and Office Teamwork: The Common Pathway, American Society of Plastic Surgical Nurses, Inc. Annual Convention, San Diego, CA
- 2005 – “Plastic Surgery 101” at the Momstown book signing, La Costa Resort and Spa, La Costa, CA, August 11, 2005
- 2005 – “An Evening of Beauty and Wellness” at Meridian Place with the San Diego Extreme Makeover Team, September 29, 2005
- 2007 – “Skin Spectrum: Skin cancer, skin repair, and skin care,” May 20, 2007
- 2007 – Connell Society Annual Meeting, “TAME Mini-Incision Technique,” June 17, 2007
- 2007 – “Applications of Quill Suture in Facial Plastic Surgery,” Course demonstration leader at AAFPRS Fall Meeting, September 18-21, 2007.
- 2008 – Connell Society Annual Meeting “Problem Solving: Now what to do?” May 1, 2008
- 2008 – Facial Cosmetic Surgery Annual Meeting, “Caveats in Facial Aesthetic Surgery: A Plea for Excellence,” June 20, 2008 Las Vegas.
- 2010 – American Society of Plastic Surgeons Annual Meeting, “Comparison of Two Adipose Tissue Aspiration Methods,” October 4, 2010, Toronto, Canada.
- 2013 – Clinical & Teaching Conference UCSD Division of Plastic Surgery,
- “Practice Performance & Pearls/Technical Aspects of Facial Rejuvenation,” Scott Miller, M.D., February 13, 2013
- 2013 – 2nd annual Passionately Pink for the Cure Presenting Dr. Scott Miller with a discussion on Asking the Experts, Saturday, October 5, 2013
- 2015 – UCSD Grand Rounds, “Face Lift’s Gone Awry,” March 4, 2015
- 2015 – California Society of Plastic Surgeons Moderator and Presenter, “Face lift Complications,” May 24, 2015